An update to the International Classification
of Diseases, 10th Revision, Clinical Modification
(ICD-10-CM) will take effect on Oct. 1. It is important to ensure that your coding resources and
software are updated with the new codes as well as
additional characters to codes that may have been
expanded during the update.
The table at right includes a short list of new codes.
Notable new codes and updates for pediatrics in-
clude the following:
• Code P29.3, persistent fetal circulation, is
expanded to include fourth characters allow-
ing specification of persistent pulmonary hy-
pertension of the newborn (P29.30) or other
persistent fetal circulation, including delayed
closure of the ductus arteriosus (P29.38).
• Umbilical granuloma will be reported with code
P83.81, and P83.88 will be reported for other conditions such as bronze baby syndrome,
neonatal scleroderma or urticaria neonatorum.
• Additional codes in subcategory P91.81- allow
reporting of neonatal encephalopathy in diseases classified elsewhere (P91.811) and unspecified neonatal encephalopathy (P91.819). When
reporting code P91.811, code the underlying
condition first, if known. Code P91.88 is added
for reporting other specified disturbances of a
cerebral status of a newborn.
• Specificity for reporting the location of undescended testes (intraabdominal, inguinal, high
scrotal) and whether the condition is unilateral
or bilateral are added to category Q53.
• Two new codes were added for reporting
non-palpable testis (R39.83-R39.84).
• Acute respiratory distress will be specifically
reported with code R06.03.
• Pediatric-specific criteria were added under the
subcategories for coma scale for both best verbal response (R40.22-) and best motor response
• Brief resolved unexplained event (BRUE) was
added as an inclusion term under R68.13 (Ap-
parent life threatening event in infant).
• Exercise counseling will be reported with code
Z71.82, allowing use of claims data to track
provision of exercise counseling in Healthcare
Effectiveness Data and Information Set
(HEDIS) or other quality measures.
• Risk of dental caries may be specified as low,
moderate, high or unspecified using codes
• External cause codes are added to category V86
to identify patients as driver, passenger or person injured while boarding or alighting from a
dirt bike or all-terrain vehicle.
Other notable updates:
• Picky eater was added as an inclusion term at
• 7th character (A,D,S) will be required for code
T07 (Unspecified multiple injuries) as well as
codes in category T14 (Injury of unspecified
• New codes were added to further classify blindness and low vision.
• In remission was added for each substance in
the mental health chapter to indicate when a
patient with a former dependence is now in
• New codes were added to both myocardial infarction and pulmonary hypertension.
• New codes were added for breast lumps.
Becky Dolan contributed to this article. For coding
and billing questions, email AAP coding staff at
FY 2018: New ICD-10-CM codes and descriptors
Codes Descriptors Codes Descriptors
F50.82 Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder R06.03 Acute respiratory distress
M33.03 Juvenile dermatomyositis without myopathy R39.83 Unilateral non-palpable testicle
P29.30 Pulmonary hypertension of newborn R39.84 Bilateral non-palpable testicles
P29.38 Other persistent fetal circulation T07.XXX-(A,D,S) Unspecified multiple injuries
P78.84 Gestational alloimmune liver disease T14.8XX-(A,D,S) Other injury of unspecified body region
P83.81 Umbilical granuloma T14.90X-(A,D,S) Injury, unspecified
P83.88 Other specified conditions of integument specific to newborn T14.91X-(A,D,S) Suicide attempt
P91.811 Neonatal encephalopathy in diseases classified elsewhere Z71.82 Exercise counseling
P91.819 Neonatal encephalopathy, unspecified Z91.841 Risk for dental caries, low
P91.88 Other specified disturbances of cerebral status of newborn Z91.842 Risk for dental caries, moderate
Q53.111 Unilateral intraabdominal testis Z91.843 Risk for dental caries, high
Q53.112 Unilateral inguinal testis Z91.849 Unspecified risk for dental caries
Q53.13 Unilateral high scrotal testis
Q53.211 Bilateral intraabdominal testes
Q53.212 Bilateral inguinal testes
Q53.23 Bilateral high scrotal testes
• For a listing of all changes to the ICD-10-CM code set,
• Learn how to simplify coding and billing by participating
in the AAP Pediatric Coding Webinar series. Leading
pediatric coding experts offer pediatric-specific insights
and strategies. Visit http://www.aap.org/webinars/
• Keep pace with the latest in coding with the monthly AAP
Pediatric Coding Newsletter. To view a sample issue,
New ICD-10-CM codes take effect on Oct. 1
from the AAP Division of Health Care Finance